Skip to Content

Can You Put a Yeti in the Microwave?

Can You Put a Yeti in the Microwave?

You can create a lot of sparks and possibly cause a fire if you put the wrong thing or material in the microwave. Can you put a Yeti in the microwave?

You should never put a Yeti in the microwave, as it is metal and will get very hot and create sparks. Most metal objects are dangerous to put in your microwave. 

You could realistically start a fire by putting your Yeti in the microwave, which means it’s safer to just not do it.  

Can You Put a Yeti in the Microwave?

Putting Yeti drinkware in the microwave is a very bad idea because the drinkware is metal. You should never put anything metal in a microwave or else you might damage your microwave or start a fire. 

Never leave a knife, fork, or spoon on a plate or bowl of food you put in the microwave either. Spoons are less dangerous than forks, but they are not necessarily safe. It’s not easy to know for sure how a metal object will react. 

What is Yeti Drinkware?

Yeti makes metal mugs, cups, and water bottles. Yeti drinkware is very durable, so the company offers a lifetime warranty on every product they offer.

Their products include vacuum-sealed Yeti cups that keep hot drinks hot and cold drinks cold for a long time. 

Why Should You Not Put a Yeti in the Microwave? 

Again, metal objects, including metal drinkware, should never be in a microwave. This will cause dangerous electrical sparks that could wreck your microwave or worse.

Never accidentally or intentionally put anything metal in your microwave. 

Yeti cups are either aluminum or stainless steel. These materials can react badly to microwaves. At worst, you could burn your house down.

Putting a Yeti in the Microwave is Ineffective

A microwave won’t work well to heat a drink inside an insulated metal container. This is because a Yeti is designed to keep a cold drink cool.

The Yeti will do a reasonably good job maintaining the drink’s temperature inside a microwave for some time. 

Microwaves May Not Get Through Metal

Microwaves can pass through some objects, which is why they heat food faster than ovens. They can heat the inside of your food at the same time as the outside. 

However, they cannot easily pass through all materials. Microwaves won’t easily pass through a steel container and reach the liquid. Instead, the steel container will heat up much faster than the liquid inside it. 

Microwaves Strongly Affect Metal Objects

Metal objects absorb microwaves, so they heat up very fast. The electromagnetic waves that microwave ovens use have more of an effect on some things than others. 
Microwaves Strongly Affect Metal Objects

A microwave-safe dish won’t heat up that much in a microwave because the material won’t absorb microwaves. 

With a metal object, the electrons will get excited very fast. Sparks and not only heat will come from these excited electrons. 

Glass and Plastic Are Different

Many plastic and glass dishes are microwave-safe. This is because microwaves don’t affect the electrons in these materials nearly as much. 

With a glass cup, the microwaves will pass through the glass and heat your drink. With a metal cup, microwaves will affect the metal instead of the liquid inside of it.

Some seemingly flimsy materials such as Ziploc bags can resist the heat of a microwave. It might not be ok to cook food in a Ziploc bag, but you can defrost it or warm it up. What is safe to put in a microwave is very different from what is safe to put in an oven.

Will a Yeti Catch Fire?

There is a good chance it will catch fire. Putting a Yeti in the microwave is just as dangerous as putting any other metal object in it. The company warns you that putting one of their containers in a microwave may start a fire.

What if You Accidentally Put a Fork in the Microwave?

Forks are more likely than most other metal objects to heat up and shoot sparks. Even if this doesn’t start a fire or wreck your microwave, it may still damage the inside of it. 

Spoons are less dangerous to put in the microwave than forks. This is because of the shape of the spoon. While spoons might not cause sparks right away, they may still cause sparks if you leave them in the microwave for a little longer.

Because of the shape of a Yeti, it might not create sparks right away. However, a Yeti will still create sparks if you leave it in the microwave. Don’t assume it is safe to put a Yeti in the microwave for a short time. 

Some Metal Objects Are Microwave Safe

If you aren’t sure, you should always assume that a metal object is unsafe to put in the microwave. However, some metal objects do not interact too much with microwaves and are safe to use.

Some Metal Objects Are Microwave Safe

Remember that a microwave has metal walls. The microwaves do not create sparks on the metal walls because metal is not inherently unsafe. 

Sometimes, aluminum trays or aluminum foil are ok. Some people say that a spoon won’t heat up if you leave the spoon in a drink, but I wouldn’t risk it. Thin pieces of metal such as the prongs on a fork often heat up very fast, and so does steel wool. 

Key Takeaways to Putting a Yeti in the Microwave

Putting metal in a microwave is a bad idea. It can damage your microwave or start a fire.

Metal Yeti drinkware may heat up and shoot sparks, even if it might not start shooting sparks right away. 

Some metal dishes and objects are microwave safe. If you aren’t sure, don’t risk it. 

Many glass or plastic dishes are microwave safe. Some seemingly flimsy objects such as Ziploc bags are fairly resistant to microwaves.

Lindsay Reed

Hi, I'm the founder of! I created this website to be a resource for everyone who wants to make the best home possible.