If you’re looking to update the exterior of your ranch-style home, you’re not alone! Ranch-style homes are a popular choice among homeowners due to their simple and functional design.
However, their plain and outdated appearance can make them blend in with the neighborhood and lack curb appeal.
Fortunately, there are many ways to update the exterior of a ranch-style home and give it a fresh and modern look! From simple DIY projects to major renovations, there are many options for updating the exterior of a ranch-style home.
Whether you’re looking to enhance curb appeal, increase energy efficiency, or simply give your home a fresh new look, there are plenty of ideas and inspiration to choose from.
In this article, I’ll explore some of the most effective ways to update the exterior of a ranch-style home and help you transform your home into a stylish and functional space.
Table of Contents
If you’re interested in learning more about ranch style homes, check out our comprehensive guide on What Is A Ranch Style Home?.
Step 1: Assess the Current Exterior
Evaluating the Condition of the House’s Exterior
The first step in updating the exterior of a ranch style house is to evaluate its current condition. This includes checking for any damage, such as cracks in the walls or roof, and assessing the overall appearance of the house.
Take note of any areas that need repair or replacement, such as windows or doors that are outdated or damaged.
It’s also important to consider the quality of the materials used in the original construction of the house. This will affect the cost and feasibility of any updates or renovations.
For example, if the house is made of low-quality materials, it may be more cost-effective to replace the entire exterior rather than attempting to update individual elements.
Identifying the Key Elements of the Ranch Style
Ranch style houses are known for their low profile, simple design, and horizontal orientation. They typically feature a single-story layout with a low-pitched roof and wide eaves.
Other key elements of the ranch style include large windows, sliding glass doors, and an attached garage.
When assessing the current exterior of a ranch style house, it’s important to identify these key elements and determine which ones can be updated or enhanced.
For example, adding larger windows or a new front door can help modernize the house while still maintaining its original style.
On the other hand, removing or altering key elements like the low-pitched roof or attached garage can significantly change the overall look and feel of the house.
Step 2: Update the Color Scheme
Choosing a Color Palette
When updating the exterior of a ranch-style house, one of the most important decisions is choosing the right color palette.
Consider the existing elements of the house, such as the roof, windows, and doors, and choose colors that complement them.
For example, if the roof is dark gray, consider a lighter shade of gray for the siding. Another option is to choose a bold color for the front door to add a pop of color and interest.
Painting Techniques and Tips
When it comes to painting the exterior of a ranch-style house, there are a few techniques and tips to keep in mind. First, make sure to clean the surface thoroughly before painting to ensure the paint adheres properly.
Use a power washer or hose to remove dirt and debris. Next, consider using a primer before painting to help the paint adhere and last longer. Finally, consider using a paint sprayer for a smoother and more even finish.
Other tips to keep in mind include choosing high-quality paint that can withstand the elements, considering the climate and weather when choosing colors, and using contrasting colors to highlight architectural features.
By choosing the right color palette and using proper painting techniques and tips, homeowners can achieve a fresh and modern look that enhances the curb appeal of their homes.
Step 3: Enhance Curb Appeal
One of the most important aspects of updating the exterior of a ranch-style home is enhancing its curb appeal.
A visually appealing exterior can make a significant difference in the overall value of your property.
Here are some ideas to help enhance the curb appeal of your ranch-style home:
Landscaping is a great way to add depth and character to the exterior of your home.
Here are some landscaping ideas to consider:
- Plant colorful flowers and shrubs to add a pop of color to your yard.
- Add varying heights to your landscaping to create depth and interest.
- Install a rock garden or water feature for a unique focal point.
- Consider adding a garden path or walkway to guide visitors to your front door.
Adding Outdoor Lighting
Outdoor lighting can add both beauty and functionality to your home.
Here are some ways to incorporate outdoor lighting into your ranch-style home:
- Install outdoor sconces or pendant lights near your front door to create a warm and welcoming entryway.
- Use spotlights to highlight your landscaping and architectural features.
- Add pathway lighting to guide visitors to your front door.
- Consider installing motion sensor lights for added security.
By incorporating these landscaping and lighting ideas, you can significantly enhance the curb appeal of your ranch-style home.
These updates can not only make your home more visually appealing but can also increase its value and overall appeal.
Step 4: Upgrade the Front Door
Selecting a New Door
The front door is a key feature of any home’s exterior, and it’s often the first thing people notice when they approach a house.
Upgrading your front door is an easy way to add curb appeal and make a statement with your home’s design.
When selecting a new door, consider the following:
- Material: Choose a material that is durable and fits the style of your home. Popular materials for front doors include wood, fiberglass, and steel.
- Color: A bold color can make a statement and add personality to your home’s exterior.
- Style: Choose a style that complements the architecture of your home. For a ranch-style home, a traditional or modern style door would work well.
- Hardware: Select hardware that complements the style and finish of your new door.
Installing a Door
Once you have selected your new door, it’s time to install it. If you are comfortable with DIY projects, installing a door can be a relatively simple process.
However, if you are unsure or uncomfortable with the process, it’s best to hire a professional.
Here are the basic steps for installing a new front door:
- Remove the old door and frame.
- Measure the opening to ensure the new door will fit properly.
- Install the new frame and threshold.
- Hang the new door and attach the hardware.
- Test the door to ensure it opens and closes smoothly.
Upgrading your front door is an easy way to add curb appeal and increase the value of your home.
With a little bit of research and some basic DIY skills, you can transform the look of your home’s exterior.
Step 5: Replace Windows and Shutters
Selecting New Windows and Shutters
When updating the exterior of a ranch-style house, replacing the windows and shutters can make a significant impact.
Consider selecting new windows and shutters that complement the style of the house and add character. When selecting new windows, consider the material, color, and style.
Vinyl windows are a popular choice due to their affordability and low maintenance. Wood windows, on the other hand, offer a classic look but require more maintenance.
Consider the color of the windows as well, as it can greatly impact the overall appearance of the house. When selecting new shutters, consider the material, color, and style.
Vinyl shutters are low maintenance and affordable, while wood shutters offer a classic look but require more maintenance.
Consider the color of the shutters as well, as it can greatly impact the overall appearance of the house.
Hiring a Professional for Installation
When replacing windows and shutters, it is important to hire a professional for installation. Improper installation can lead to air leaks, water damage, and other issues.
A professional can ensure that the windows and shutters are installed correctly and provide a warranty for their work. When hiring a professional, consider their experience, reputation, and pricing.
Ask for references and check online reviews to ensure that they are a reputable company. Get multiple quotes to compare pricing and ensure that you are getting a fair price!
When selecting new windows and shutters, consider the material, color, and style. When hiring a professional for installation, consider their experience, reputation, and pricing.
How to Update the Exterior of a Ranch Style House: Vertical Siding
One of the best ways to update the exterior of a ranch style house is by using vertical siding! This type of siding can transform the look of your home and give it a modern and sleek appearance.
Here are a few tips on how to update your ranch style house with vertical siding:
- Choose the right material: When it comes to vertical siding, you have several options to choose from, including vinyl, fiber cement, and wood. Each material has its own advantages and disadvantages, so it’s important to do your research and choose the one that best suits your needs and budget.
- Consider the color: The color of your vertical siding can have a big impact on the overall look of your home. If you want a modern and sleek appearance, consider choosing a neutral color like gray or black. If you want a more traditional look, opt for a warmer color like beige or brown.
- Think about the texture: Vertical siding comes in a variety of textures, including smooth, wood-grain, and stucco. Each texture can give your home a different look and feel, so it’s important to choose the one that best suits your personal style.
Overall, vertical siding is a great way to update the exterior of your ranch style house and give it a fresh and modern look.
By choosing the right material, color, and texture, you can transform your home and make it the envy of the neighborhood.
How to Update the Exterior of a Ranch Style House with Brick Pillars
If your ranch style house has brick pillars, there are several ways to update the exterior while keeping the classic look of the pillars.
Here are a few ideas:
- Paint the house: A fresh coat of paint can make a big difference in updating the look of your ranch style house. Choose a color that complements the brick pillars, such as a warm beige or light gray.
- Add shutters: Shutters can add character and depth to the exterior of your home. Choose a color that contrasts with the house color, such as black or dark green.
- Replace the front door: A new front door can make a big impact on the overall look of your home. Choose a style and color that complements the brick pillars, such as a wood door with glass panels.
Another option is to add landscaping around the brick pillars. Here are a few ideas:
- Plant shrubs: Shrubs can add texture and color to the exterior of your home. Choose a variety that complements the brick color, such as boxwood or holly.
- Add flower beds: Flower beds can add a pop of color to the exterior of your home. Choose flowers that complement the house and brick colors, such as petunias or marigolds.
- Install outdoor lighting: Outdoor lighting can highlight the brick pillars and add a warm glow to the exterior of your home. Choose a style that complements the overall look of your home.
By updating the exterior of your ranch style house with brick pillars, you can enhance the curb appeal and create a welcoming entrance for your guests.
How to Update the Exterior of a Ranch Style House with Corrugated Metal
If you’re looking to update the exterior of your ranch-style home, consider adding corrugated metal.
Corrugated metal is a durable and versatile material that can give your home a modern and industrial look.
Here are a few ideas for incorporating corrugated metal into your ranch-style home’s exterior:
- Siding: Replace traditional siding with corrugated metal panels to give your home a sleek and modern look. Corrugated metal siding comes in a variety of colors and finishes, so you can choose the perfect one to match your home’s style.
- Roofing: Corrugated metal roofing is a popular choice for ranch-style homes. It’s lightweight, durable, and can withstand harsh weather conditions. Plus, it adds a unique and modern touch to your home’s exterior.
- Accent Walls: Use corrugated metal panels to create an accent wall on your home’s exterior. This is a great way to add texture and depth to your home’s design.
When using corrugated metal on your home’s exterior, it’s important to choose a style that complements the overall design of your home.
Overall, corrugated metal is a great option for updating the exterior of your ranch-style home. It’s durable, versatile, and can give your home a modern and industrial look.
Consider incorporating corrugated metal into your home’s design to create a unique and stylish exterior.
Conclusion to Updating the Exterior of Ranch Style Homes
Updating the exterior of a ranch-style house can be a great way to increase curb appeal and give your home a fresh look. With a few simple changes, you can transform the appearance of your home and create a welcoming environment for guests and family.
Some of the most effective ways to update the exterior of a ranch-style home include adding landscaping, painting the exterior, updating the front door, and adding a porch or patio. By combining these changes, you can create a cohesive and stylish look that complements the architecture of your home.
When planning your exterior remodel, it’s important to consider your budget and prioritize changes based on their impact and cost. Cosmetic improvements, such as painting and landscaping, are often the most affordable and can have a big impact on the overall appearance of your home.
More substantial changes, such as adding a porch or patio, may require a larger investment but can add value to your home and improve your quality of life.
Ultimately, the key to a successful exterior remodel is to create a cohesive and stylish look that complements the architecture of your home and reflects your personal style.
By working with a professional contractor and taking the time to plan your remodel, you can create a beautiful and welcoming exterior that you’ll be proud to call home.
If you found this article helpful, make sure to take a look at my other articles on Ranch style homes linked below!