Mounting shelves with nails and screws is standard but can be boring. So, can you hang shelves with Command Strips?
Shelves are versatile accessories to showcase items in the room or living room or place various objects that you might use in your room or the bathroom.
However, putting up shelves by simply drilling them into the walls can be harmful to your walls, not to mention difficult in some cases.
Command Strips are the new trend, but can you hang the shelves with them?
You can definitely hang shelves with Command Strips, but you have to ensure that the number of strips being used is appropriate for the shelves’ size and weight.
However, every shelf isn’t safe to hang with Command Strips, especially the glass ones, as they can be dangerous if not mounted properly.
Command Strips are highly versatile adhesive strips you can use to hang various items on the wall, such as paintings, lighting, pots, and of course, shelves.
Besides, they add an aesthetic to your home decor.
Hanging shelves with Command Strips isn’t too hard, but you must be accurate and precise.
What are Command Strips and What Do They Do?
Most people have probably seen Command Strips before but may not know exactly what they are or what they’re used for.
Command Strips are a type of adhesive strip used to attach things to surfaces.
They are commonly used for things like hanging pictures and attaching light fixtures, but can really be used for anything that needs to be attached to a wall or another surface.
The strips are double-sided, so they adhere to both the wall and the back of the item you’re hanging.
They come in a variety of sizes so that you can use them for small or large items.
You can also use them to hang items on different types of surfaces, including painted walls, bare walls, tile, glass, and more.
One of the great things about Command Strips is that they are effortless to use and remove, making them perfect for temporary attachments or people who don’t want to deal with the hassle of nails or screws.
Overall, they are a versatile and convenient way to attach things to surfaces.
How to Hang Shelves with Command Strips
Hanging shelves with Command Strips is a quick and easy way to add storage space to your home.
Whether you need a place to stash extra towels in the bathroom or want to display your favorite knick-knacks, shelves are a great option.
And using Command Strips means that you don’t have to put holes in your walls. Here’s how to do it:
- Start by cleaning the wall where you want to hang the shelves. This will help the strips adhere better and prevent dirt and dust from getting trapped behind the shelves.
- Next, measure the width of the shelf and mark the spot on the wall where you want to hang it. Use a level to make sure the shelf is level before proceeding.
- Once you have the location marked, peel off the backing on the Command Strip and press it firmly onto the wall for at least 30 seconds. Repeat this step for each corner of the shelf.
- Finally, carefully place the shelf on top of the Command Strips and press down firmly to secure it in place. You can now fill your new shelves with whatever you like!
Pros and Cons of Hanging Shelves with Command Strips
Command Strips are a convenient way to hang shelves without drilling holes in the wall. However, they are not without their drawbacks.
Here is a list of pros and cons of using Command Strips to hang shelves:
- Command Strips are easy to use and don’t require any special tools or skills.
- They’re relatively inexpensive, making them a good option for budget-minded homeowners.
- Command Strips can be removed without damaging the wall, so they’re ideal for renters who want to avoid any damage to their rental unit.
- Command Strips can support a fair amount of weight, making them suitable for heavier items such as bookshelves.
- They may not work well on textured walls, such as those with plaster or stucco finishes.
- They may not adhere well to painted walls unless the paint is very smooth and even.
- Command Strips can be difficult to remove and may leave behind a sticky residue.
- Finally, Command Strips can only support a certain amount of weight, so if your shelving unit is too heavy, it could fall and possibly injure someone.
Tips for Making Shelves Look Good on Command Strips
Command Strips are versatile and effortless to use, but they can be tricky. If you’re not careful, your shelves can look crooked or uneven.
Here are a few tips to help you get the perfect Command Strip shelf:
- First, make sure the surface you’re attaching the Command Strips to is clean and smooth. Otherwise, the strips may not stick properly.
- Once you’ve attached the Command Strips to the wall, carefully position your shelf on top of them.
Make sure the shelf is level before pressing it into place. Use a leveler or a ruler to ensure the strips are even.
This will ensure that your shelves are level and look tidy.
- If your shelf isn’t perfectly level, don’t worry, as you can adjust it by peeling off the Command Strips and repositioning them slightly until the shelf is level.
With these tips in mind, you’ll be able to hang shelves with Command Strips like a pro!
Where to Buy Command Strips
If you’re looking for Command Strips, your best bet is probably a big box store like Target or Walmart.
You can also find them online through the Command brand’s store or Amazon.
They’re not typically carried in hardware stores or smaller pharmacies, but it’s always worth checking, just in case.
There’s not much difference between stores regarding pricing, so it just comes down to convenience.
However, if you order them online, you might be able to find a coupon or promo code to help save a few bucks.
Summing Up Using Command Strips to Hang Shelves
You can definitely use Command Strips to hang shelves, but you have to be careful when doing so. Make sure you research the amount of weight that the Command Strips can hold before placing anything on them.
If you don’t measure correctly, your shelves could fall and not only break whatever is on them, but potentially hurt someone as well. They’re very versatile and can help you hang many things besides shelves as well.